Sunday, February 22, 2015

Serge Lutens - Daim Blond (perfume review)

I haven't tried many leathers but became obsessed with the idea of finding a good one, which led me to my desire to try Daim Blond (among other things).  According to Aedes, Daim Blond was "Inspired by suede so fine, so soft, so barely perceptible to the touch, like skin on skin, an aura and sensation that intertwine to become one and the same."   Ooh, this sounds mysterious and sexy and warm and cozy...

Wait a second, where's the soft nude suede?? On me, Serge Lutens' Daim Blond opens up strongly with medicinal pencil shavings - camphor, band-aids, rubber, wood. It's cool but dry. Although it's not markedly strong, it feels rough.

photo from acevola.blogspot.com

I know some people enjoy a good medicinal note, but honestly to me, it just smells like hospitals, which isn't particularly pleasant. I can imagine situations where a medicinal touch could enhance other stronger, more prominent notes, but that is just not the case in Daim Blond.

As far as I can tell, there are no other notes.  After a few minutes even the pencil shavings fade away, leaving just camphor and rubber band-aids.  Sadly they're not even awesome band-aids like these:


found on www.geekalerts.com
or

available at mcphee.com
Hehe, okay, I lied. There eventually are other notes. About 30 minutes in, it becomes evident that the 'medicinal' note I was smelling was probably somehow the iris and not the ubiquitous 'oud'. The medicinal aspect softens, and the iris becomes far more powdery and recognizably iris-y. This is definitely a marked improvement over the opening, but maybe not the best fit for me as I'm still on the fence about how I feel about iris. (So far the only iris perfume I've really liked is Atelier's Silver Iris.) And as powdery as it is, the perfume starts to feel kind of sharp and harsh to my nose about an hour in.

From this point on, the iris gets softer (while retaining it's bit of sharpness) and there's just a touch of musk, but that's about it. It really loses strength at the 2 hour mark, and feels just like a light veil of powder. The late drydown is pleasant enough I guess.

One thing Daim Blond *does* have going for it is the lack of cumin.  :)

-----

My rating of Daim Blond: 2 

1  -  - -  -  2  -  -  -  -  3  -  -  -  -  4  -  -  -  -  5
   Nausea/Gagging         Meh        Decent       Great         Olfactory Elation    


In short, there is basically nothing about Daim Blond that is my cup of tea.

-----

Daim Blond as described by the Aedes website:

Family: Spice/Leather

Top Notes: Iris
Middle Notes: Apricot, Cardamom, Hawthorne
Base Notes: Heliotrope, Musk

Perfumer: Christopher Sheldrake

-----

Have you tried Daim Blond? What are some of your favorite suede and leather scents?


15 comments:

  1. Hahaa, I cracked up throughout this post!! Love it!
    I haven't tried that one yet, and probably won't because I'm not a big leather fan. I have one that I love (Chanel's Cuir de Russie) and that is all I need (said in a not-very-sure voice!)
    I want those underwear bandaids!! (still laughing here!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol! Hehe, I'm glad you found it entertaining. :) I haven't yet tried the Cuir de Russie, but I'd like to eventually on my leather quest. I'm also still pining for a sample of Cuir d'Ange. And, I admire your ability to check off a perfume category with 1 and stop there - that requires an inner strength that many do not possess. Hopefully such restraint won't stop you from frivolous band-aid purchases though! :)

      Delete
    2. I think I have tried a few other leathers, but that note in perfume is just not my thing - I would rather hang out w/someone wearing a leather jacket ;) Though I have to say that Kerosene Whips and Roses is something I would like to sample (see, I have no inner strength! Though I could fool myself that it is the rose notes I am after as I am a big rose fan). I am hopeless!

      Delete
    3. I haven't tried any of the Kerosenes, but leather and roses does sound like a lovely combo. They have a lot of scents that sound sample-worthy!

      Delete
  2. OMG! We have had polar opposite experiences with Daim Blond. My skin makes it sweet, light, powdery and a little fruity
    Loved your take though
    Portia xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Portia! Thanks for stopping by and commenting :) I *envy* you - sweet, light, powdery and a little fruity sounds absolutely delightful, and more in line with what I was hoping to get from Daim Blond! Isn't it funny what chemistry does??

      Delete
  3. Not a Daim Blond fan, but I do love those undie bandaids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those bandaids too, Sun Mi! Maybe the bacon strips would work for my diet...
    Azar xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I like the thought Azar! It might work, unless they end up just triggering cravings for more bacon?? At least it's protein... :) Alternatively, you could stick some tighty whiteys on your favorite dessert foods and maybe the association with underpants will temper your desire to eat them, hehe! I might try that... :)

      Delete
  5. I am so glad you found this one discordant, because I did too. Rough and fuzzy in a bad way. I reviewed it so long ago I have forgotten what I said, so will go and see...'rasping fuzziness, like suede-scented white noise'. By that I meant the sort of interference you get when tuning in an old transistor, not the lovely whale music that sends you off to sleep. There's more: 'There is additionally a slightly medicinal / antiseptic note, and the merest hint of something animalic that I cannot quite place. Actually, on reflection, the dominant impression of this fragrance is "sweaty loafer accord", and the faint antiseptic accent will be from an Odor-Eater insole someone has thoughtfully shoved down the shoe in a doomed bid to counteract it.' It did get better, I might add, but not for a long time. Sounds like we have similar skin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vanessa! Yes - it appears we may be skin buddies! Isn't it amazing how different everyone's experiences can be?? I love your characterization of bad tuning as opposed to pleasant white noise - very fitting indeed!

      Delete
    2. Teehee, reading your comment again I am laugh out loud again. :) Ugh, this one was just not good for us!

      Delete
  6. I loved your post! It made me smile - thank you! I need to find some bizarre band-aids :)

    Daim Blond is definitely not for me, I disliked this perfume so much that in the notes for the last testing I wrote to myself that I shouldn't try it again.

    I made a note to myself, so if by the next time I have something to send you Cuir de Russie is still on your "to try" list I'll send it to you. I think you'll like it.

    Other leathers to try... I don't remember if you tried Bottega Veneta (the original one) - I like it from time to time. You should definitely try Cuir Gardenia by Aftelier Perfumes though there's a good chance you won't like it. But everybody agrees it's a very interesting perfume. So, who knows, maybe it'll work on your skin (it didn't on my :( ). Cuir de Nacre by Ann Gerard and Cuirelle by Ramon Monegal are nice. Not sure if they are a bottle-worth-nice but definitely test-wise-nice. I love Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather on my vSO but it's not a feminine perfume, in my opinion. Arquiste Aleksandr - not bad but not interesting enough for me for the price. One perfume with which I keep going back and forth is Cuir de Lancome. I like it. But then I wear it (from a decant) and get tired of it. So I haven't bought it when it was available for $35. And now I'm hesitating even more when it's about $70.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Undina! Glad it made you smile, we can all use a good smile! :)

      I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one that isn't digging Daim Blond - sounds like you, me and Vanessa are in the same boat!

      Thank you for the future offer for Cuir de Russie - I haven't tried it yet, but if you think I'll like it, I'm sure it's great. I haven't tried Bottega Veneta yet (but I have acquired 2 samples through swaps, so I will), or ANY of the others you've listed! I have been really interested in trying some of the Afteliers, and maybe even the face oil, so perhaps I'll peruse around the website and pick up a sample. I'll stick all of these on my list, except maybe the TF because in general I find the TFs too 'in your face' for my amateur nose, haha. Also, if you get tired of the decant of Cuir de Lancome, I'd save your money for something else that you'll really love.

      Have you tried Cuir d'Ange?? I've been really interested in trying that one but haven't gotten my hands on a sample yet. I do have samples of Ramon Monegal's Mon Cuir and the Cuir Beluga that you sent, so those are in my queue. I'll be interested to see how our opinions of Cuir Beluga compare!

      Delete

Thanks for participating!